Saturday, September 26, 2009

Video Sharing

Commuting In NYC Bicycle Gains In Popularity According To DOT Study







Reflections on the Process of Learning About the Tool


The photo above symbolizes my journey into the videosharing world in two ways:

Firstly, for me, learning how to use this tool and what to use it for is like learning how to ride a bicycle. Practice is needed, you may need someone to hold the seat at first but once the confidence is built, you are on your way! The journey may have bumps along the way and you may be ready to give up several times but once you reach your destination, the success you feel is worth it. Nothing like crossing that finish line!

Secondly, the wheel is the main focus of the picture. I have come to realize that with the videosharing technologies available to us, there is no need to re-invent the wheel. There are a plethora of resources at our fingertips. We can access video clips on any topic we are teaching and bring them to the classroom.

Along my journey I explored three main videosharing sites: YouTube, TeacherTube and VideoTube. There are several other sites as well, some of them listed on John P.'s One Man's Blog . However, for the purpose of this blog, I will be mostly focussing on the most popular videosharing site, YouTube. Tune in to my YouTube channel.
Before getting in depth with YouTube, though, I first stopped off at Animoto. I used Animoto to create my own video, using short clips that I had downloaded. However, I tried to upload from my computer and could not find my video files. After several attempts and some research I discovered that the clips must each be five seconds or less or they will not be found. So I chose to create a short video clip instead using images from my trip to Fiji. It was easy to add music and create the video (it made me think this would be a great way for students to produce their own short videos). I then exported my video to YouTube.
I learned the hard way that you have to make sure that you are the last person to sign in to YouTube on your computer or else your videos created on Animoto will be uploaded to the other user’s account. In my case, it was my fiancĂ©, TJ, who was the last user so according to YouTube he is now the creator of the video. However, I selected the video as a favourite so it can still be viewed on my account and is also embedded here:




I also tried uploading a video that I made directly from my computer to YouTube. It is a clip from the beach in Australia this summer:





Before this process, I had viewed a couple of videos on YouTube that were sent to me via email. However, I had never even searched for a particular topic before. Now I can search by subject, select videos as favourites, and make comments. Signing up and personalizing my account was easy.

On my journey I also learned about copyright guidelines and the idea of Fair Use which is the justification for copyright works. I discovered that if a video clip is for education (eg. showing in class or on a secure website) it is most likely considered to be Fair Use. If I am unsure, however, I now know that I can hop on the 'copyright metro' and check the guidelines using this interactive guide to using copyrighted media.

The idea of embedding was also new to me and it was surprising to learn how easy it is to just copy and paste the code into my blog. In the article The Incredible, Embeddable Web, Notess discusses embedding and sites such as SlideShare, where uploaded presentations can be embedded, commented on and rated. I discovered that a Power Point presentation could be embedded into my blog or wiki.


Discussion of the Tool in Terms of My Own Personal Learning

George Osbourne Faces An Enquiry Into Aspects Of His Expense Claims








Standing at YouTube's front entrance (the most recent videos page) I was overwhelmed at first. Where will this door take me? I thought as I looked at each image and title. After viewing some random clips, I realized that I wanted and needed a purpose for my searching. It can be very distracting being lead through so many different doors. I needed to narrow down my search to include only the rooms that were useful to me.
So I went to visit Elizabeth Gilbert as she discussed her book Eat Pray Love, which I am currently reading for the second time.
I then opened a door that led to exercising the brain with faster thinking through coloured words.

With my stepson in tow I then paid a visit to JBugz, his future breakdance instructor. This eased any anxiety he had about going to his first class next week. Now he is eager to get started and wants to learn to dance just like JBugz!
As you can see from the videos I created and embedded in the previous section, I have discovered the realm of possibilities that are available to me as a Web 2.0 learner. I am excited to be opening so many new doors!


Discussion of the Tool in Terms of Teaching and Learning


Pencil and Notepad








There are many concerns around allowing students to have access to YouTube. Just like using a pencil, students can use it for good or for bad. They can use a pencil to write with or they can use it to poke someone with. We have to teach them the appropriate way to use the tool. Sometimes the pencil may be used for entertainment, doodling pictures or writing notes to friends and sometimes it is used for educational purposes, such as writing a story or a poem. Students must know how and when to use the pencil for learning.

There are endless opportunities for use in the classroom. Once they are taught media literacy standards, students could view and critique videos. Using videosharing is also creative way for students to display what they have learned. They could create interviews, online radio shows, presentations or book talks.
As a teacher, I could record important parts of my lessons for students as a review or for those students who missed a lesson.
The educational relevance of YouTube is discussed in an article I found called YouTube Comes to the Classroom. Adam and Mowers state that "YouTube provides a platform for students to be content creators, not just content viewers. Just knowing that someone out there is listening is enough motivation for them to speak out. It is our job to help students discover their voice. While YouTube does contain inappropriate material, it also offers real gems for educators."
I came across a site with some of these gems called 100 best YouTube videos for teachers, broken down into the headings of History, Science, Language Arts, Inspiration, Classroom Management, How-Tos and Guides, Technology and Humour. Also take a look at this article listing some useful YouTube clips for teachers to use in teaching history and social studies.

While exploring TeacherTube , I found a video clip that I can use with my grade 6/7 science class. I am currently teaching them about ecosystems and I found that this video clip (embedded below) effectively shows the interactions and interdependance of living and non-living things.



This process has allowed me to further my learning not only as a life long learner but as a parent and a teacher as well.


Sources

Adam, A., & Mowers, H. (2007, January). YouTube Comes to the Classroom. School Library Journal, 53(1), 22-22. Retrieved September 24, 2009, from Professional Development Collection database.

Notess, G.R. (2007, September/October). The Incredible, Embeddable Web. Online; School Library Journal, Vol.31 Issue 5, p.43-46.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I enjoyed your pelican video - its amazing how people-friendly they are! I too read the book "Eat Pray Love", very enlightening. It might be worth a second read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughts about recording lessons really struck home. We have major attendance problems up North. This combined with the fact that medical trips, sports, and PD opportunities all involve multiday plane trips for a lot of staff = tons of substitue time. Having videos of lessons could help with both of these. Imagine having a subplan that says "Have students click here and complete the following assignment." Or when a student comes back after a month of being on the land, they can get started on catch up as soon as they get their hands on the internet. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip: 100 Best YouTube Videos for Teachers!

    ReplyDelete