Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Photo Sharing
Reflections on the Process of Learning About Photo Sharing
My experience with photo sharing before doing this assignment was limited to my Facebook account. I have added several photo albums so knew how to upload pictures. I had even been 'tagged' in some pictures from way back in elementary school! However this was as far as my photo sharing experience went...until now. The Common Craft video (Online Photo Sharing in Plain English) helped me see how putting photos online keeps them safe, organized and easy to find and share. It is a scary thought to think that I could lose all of my pictures to a fire or computer crash!
While doing some internet searching on online photo sharing, I discovered that some sites (such as http://www.toptenreviews.com/) claim that Photobucket is the most popular and most highly rated photo sharing site. However, I chose to use Flickr because this was the site discussed in the course textbooks, I had heard more about it and was not far behind in the ratings. Check out this link to my photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lkwillia
I found Flickr to be user friendly and easy to store, share, search and organize pictures. I identified where some of my photos were taken using geotagging which was a new concept to me. This feature allowed me to add tags to my photos that show coordinates from Google maps linked to Google Earth. This way people can see where in the world my pictures came from. I also discovered that I could link 'fd's Flickr Toys' to my Flickr account to create magazine covers, posters, frames, etc and was curious about this. However I found that part of their agreement states that by authorizing this link, you'll allow Flickr Toys to "upload, edit and replace photos and videos in your account." Therefore, I decided against adding this feature until I can be sure that my account will be safe. I also found out that by using 'Creative Commons,' you can add or search photos with various types of copyright licences.
I came across a website that provides an intro on how to use Flickr:
http://benbishop.me.uk/software/how-to-flickr-into/
Here is a blog site with uses for the classroom:
http://jakespeak.blogspot.com/2006/03/classroom-uses-of-flickr.html
Discussion of Photo Sharing in Terms of My Own Personal Learning
The process of using photo sharing has greatly enhanced my personal learning with the Web 2.0 tool. I now not only have my own Flickr account but can upload photos, tag them into subject areas, change account settings, geotag the photos, link to an RSS feed or blog, use search parameters and comment on other members' photos. These skills are valuable to me on my journey to become more literate with technology.
Photo sharing is important to me as a learner, a parent, a friend and a relative. To be able to share photos back and forth with loved ones is a useful and enjoyable way for me to keep in touch. It allows me to share my special events with others that perhaps live out of town and would not have the opportunity to see pictures in person. For example, this summer I went on a trip to Fiji and Australia and was also a bridesmaid in my sister's and my friend's weddings. Photo sharing has allowed me to share my photographs with others that were either a part of my summer experiences or are interested in seeing how amazing those places were. Best of all, it is free and easy to keep track of my pictures.
I think it is important for us to become comfortable using these online networking sites personally before we put them into use professionally. We need to have the confidence to use Flickr, for example, on our own before we use it with our students. By 'playing' on these sites we can not only become more efficient but we can find more and more opportunities for their use in our teaching.
Discussion of Photo Sharing in Terms of Teaching and Learning
I have come across many ideas for the use of photo sharing in the classroom. This tool could be useful in making learning relevant and fun for our students, who are increasingly becoming digital learners. Students could use Flickr to create visual stories, illustrate their work, make connections or interpretations, write a news story, or use the annotation tool to label parts of a diagram, map or model. They could create slideshows or presentations or document field trips, school-wide events and projects. Teachers can photostream pictures to the class homepage on their school website or teach how to use add-on tools to create book covers or posters.
There is opportunity to keep in touch with current events or supplement research. When a class or student is studying a particular topic, they can subscribe to an RSS feed and automatically receive new pictures about that topic and view recent comments made about the pictures. I would also like to use this feature in my own learning.
Another benefit is the potential for collaborative learning. There are groups on Flickr for teachers collaborating their ideas regarding the uses of Flickr in the classroom. One group called Gotham Schools has displayed artistic shots of their school and has documented some of the projects they have done:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/gothamschools/
Before using Flickr with our students, however, we need to consider privacy settings. The site allows us to decide the size of community we are involved with, allowing for public or private viewing. To allow for the highest level of security, we could restrict access to photos by creating a login for our class and selecting "invited" members only. We would also need to teach our students how to use the site effectively and appropriately. It is exciting to realize the potential of photo sharing and Flickr for enhancing both our teaching and our learning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wonderful pics Lori! Your vacation pics looked so tranquil! I really enjoy your style of writing the blog. Looking forward to continued work with you in our discussion group!
ReplyDeleteCall me a geek or paranoid but your comments around education about privacy settings brought up something that still concerns me about this 2.0 world. When I surfed photosharing I was able to see tons of photos of friends, students, myself that I didn't know existed. As a sci fi geek I do have a concern that major corporations, or people who seek to do harm, can easily generate a very detailed profile on us now. They can track where we travel, who our friends are, what we follow on the net, hobbies, shopping habits, etc. Should strangers have that much information about us? Look at how they advertise new intuitive search engines that "learn" what we like, etc. so they can better search for us. Is the "Minority Report" picture of the future on the way????
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGreat point with regards to using photosharing for collaborative assessments, I also believe that these tools provide a fantastic opportunity for differentiated instruction across all three of the spectrums, that being student readiness, intelligences (Gardner, and of course student interests, when student use it it provides another avenue for students to present what they know, and of course another way for teachers to reach students with different interests and aptitudes.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Lori,
Joseph
I agree that privacy settings can be an issue... where does FOIP begin and end?!?
ReplyDelete